Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sacrifice

I gave up everything I knew in Kentucky to come to Tegucigalpa.  When I head back to the states I will not have an income, a car, and two weeks after, a place to call home.  Seems kind of crazy, right... YES!  What was I thinking?!  Yesterday, I completely freaked out.  I was so down on myself for being an immature idiot. Just try to imagine leaving your life, your significant other, your friends, your family, your security and then go ahead and send me to the loony bin, because I have obviously lost my marbles.
But, and there is always a but, today I woke up and read a letter from my mother of all people. (Parents always have wisdom even when they aren't around.) She said, "be discerning" and a bunch of other stuff about letting the Lord guide my decisions and not letting the devil use his little tactics to be a wolf in lambs clothing.  (I'm obviously paraphrasing because the letter was two pages long.) Then for devotionals this morning, we read about putting on the armor of God and preparing ourselves for the battles in life that we are going to face. The devil shows his face much more apparently when you're where you're supposed to be in God's plan for your life. He can be very manipulative in his actions; making things fall into place or having small coincidences. All these things are weapons that I need to prepare myself for by reading the Bible praying and listening to make sure I am where I'm supposed to be! I know from experience that being where God isn't leading you has some serious consequences. The combination of the letter and the devotional brought such a peace within me. I may be homeless, broke and hungry when I return, but Job seemed to be in the same predicament once and he turned out alright.
I feel more strongly than ever now that I am supposed to be in Honduras.  The paths that I have taken in life have totally lead me in the wrong direction until now, but let face it. I'm not perfect... Close, but not... :) Hopefully, in my next blog I'll talk about being humble...
A few verses for thought...

All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other's well being.- 1 Corinthians 10:23, 24

This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. -1 Corinthians 2:13,14

Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding. -Proverbs 4:1

1 comment:

  1. Bekah!! OMG. I could cry from reading this post. I admire you so, for taking this leap of faith and trusting God to guide your steps. I'm struggling with that, but am on my way!

    ReplyDelete