Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Family... To Be Or Not To Be

Being away form your friends and family is hard. There are men that serve our country and those around the world on a daily basis, so they know the sacrifice it takes. There are others of us that are called to a different service which also takes giving up things and people that you love. I'm such a people person that it is really hard for me to be away from my family and friends. BUT (and it's a big one) I'm happy to announce that me being out of my comfort zone has allowed me to find joy in new relationships.
Family and community is a very important cultural experience here in Honduras. Everyone is in a mafia type relationship. No matter what happens, blood is thicker than water. No matter what happens, you always take up for your family, when your family gets together you be there, and events like weddings and birthdays become inexcusable if you miss the party. Everything is a big deal down here and honestly that is how is should be! I got a little glimpse of this on my birthday. A baby shower was planned on my birthday so, of course, I thought no problem. No birthday for me... (we will pretend I took it that well :) After accepting the fact that I would be working on my birthday, I was just going to let it pass by unnoticed. No ay problema!
When we got to the mission we unloaded the car worked for a while and got back into the car to go to lunch before the day really got under way. Turns out lunch was actually a surprise birthday party! I was so excited! But here is the thing that meant the most. The couple that hosted the party isn't really a family with means. The fact that they fed 15 people just so I could have a little celebration on my birthday kind of chokes me up a little. This couple has really taken me under their wing. To add a little cherry to the fantastic family sundae, Noe came up to me today and showed me his group of "family contacts" in his cell phone... "Bekah Woodall" is number 3! They have made me part of their family, just like everyone else here. It is so heart warming to be able to be a part of a plan that is bigger than your own world. When we stop to think about what family means to us and how we can expand our extended family, the possibilities are endless. We are all part of God's family and we can choose not to embrace it or begin to form relationships that will follow us the rest of our lives. Family is pretty awesome isn't it!

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment