Thursday, February 17, 2011

My little "Mentee"

While I'm working in Honduras, I'm trying my very best to stay connected to the states.  I've gained a huge support system and really learned to appreciate the relationships I've made (and somehow kept) over the past 25 years.  Family and friends that have been close to me and still put up with me are the most important part of my life!  Communication is hard and sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own lives that we forget to maintain, or as in most cases, just don't find the time to maintain.  We are all guilty of it so don't be searching for specs in others eyes!
That being said, I would like to share a relationship with you that began a few months ago. When I first met Katie, she was kind of quite... weird looking back on that now, because she is the exact opposite "in real life"! As our relationship formed I was able to watch her personality blossom. She is one of the most outgoing and crazy girls I know! But where her personality is strongest is her love for people.  Katie is a little girl... She's about a size -14, and has the height to match it, but her heart was made for a 400 lb. grown man! God gave her a heart for missions and he gave her a heart for His own.  
This week, after some counseling, Katie decided to put her passion into action. Amor Es El Solo Linguaje is a foundation that she is starting to raise support for the people of Honduras. (Did I mention she is in high school? Amazing right?) This Non-Profit will donate school supplies and other necessities to underprivileged children in the roughest parts of Tegucigalpa. Working with Mision Caribe, she hopes to make an impact from the states until God places her full time somewhere.  This endeavor will help her build organization skills, communication skills, maintain relationships, and allow her to serve while still being able to finish her education. 
To me this story is inspiring. How many of us keep making excuses and don't make time to grow and maintain relationships? Did I mention she was 15?!?!
If you have any contacts for shipping, know any  other organizations that she could partner with, or want to donate to this cause, email me at bwoodall0@gmail.com. Never take the children around us for granted. 9 times out of 10 they are doing greater works that we are!
GOOD LUCK, KATIE!    

And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. -Matthew 18:2-6 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment