Thursday, June 24, 2010

God's Got This.

I finally headed back to San Lorenzo!!  
Trust me when I say, it was nothing like I expected. The team that I first came to Honduras with sent a suit case of toys with me to hand out to the children.  I was so excited to be the bearer of gifts to these kids.  It was going to be like Christmas in June and I got to be a santa like figure. Since I have gained such a love for these kids, I wanted everything to be perfect for them. I planned and organized and I made sure everything was going to be spectacular... Then God stepped in for one more of his little reminders; I don't make the plans. I thought that maybe he would at least consult me on this little venture of mine, but that was so not the case.
We we arrived, I realized while we were unpacking our van that the toys I had so perfectly packed where nowhere to be found.  In the crazy haze of a 40 person group split, they somehow made it to the city of La Victoria, 40 minutes south of our destination. 
I heart was broken.
I took my tamali and my glass of water and had a 10 minute pitty party over a rock in the corner of the church yard.  Some one forgot to mention that my tamali had a bad piece of chicken in it and the next 30 minutes of my life would be spent on the "throne" of San Lorenzo. To keep this PG, let's just say the "hover technique" can only be used for so long. The team went ahead and started visiting the houses of the people I love without me and I stayed back, sick. I was in a rut to say the least. The perfect day that I had planned was turing out to be an epic fail.  
Then Carlo showed up with his sweet little face and my day began to brighten.  I had kept a Magnadoodle for him in my personal bag, because I knew as soon as the bus pulled into the courtyard he would appear. He was my first ray of sunshine to what ended up being the day God planned for me.  
I had separated a small bag of toys to give to the school for their supplies that morning. It made it San Lorenzo. In this bag held 13 gifts.  We ended up having 13 children show up to the afternoon service so each child got a gift.  They rest of the toys will be delivered to the kids in September for Children's Day.  The town has never been able to afford real gifts to celebrate this holiday so the treat/surprise factor will be amazing for the parents of the children; 100 times more so than it would have been for me. I still got to pass out presents and I still got to have the joy of giving that God intends us to have.  The difference was, I was able to take myself out of the equation.  I gave gifts whole heartedly and got to love on the kids the way God intended me to.  
Sometimes, even with the best intentions, we still like to put ourself into the mix.  Being a Christian is a selfless act.  There can not be one moment that revolves around you.  When that happens, God's not glorified. We are, and that's just crazy thinking!! The day ended up being a perfect day and I had an amazing time in like I always do here. :)

For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. -Philippians 2:13 

For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. -2 peter 1:5-7



1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Bekah, I'm so proud of you and your desire to serve God in the way you are doing. These children need you and I can say that because there are children I serve everyday that are in need of someone like you. You will truly be blessed. Let go,Let God ! All the things that you have given up here at home will be plentiful for you when you return. Just keep the faith. God has a lot of great things in store for you. Love ya girl, keep up the good work of fullfilling Gods Promise. Mya from Lex.

    ReplyDelete