Sunday, April 17, 2011

Friends And Community

I've been in Honduras for 4 months now and let me tell you, it has been hard to find friends! I have the women I work with  of course, but at the end of the day, we are tired and they are sick of me I'm sure! And to quote Suamy "this is Honduras!" Walking anywhere around here by yourself is either going to get you hurt, kidnapped or taken. My father isn't a well scripted Liam Nissan, so that makes walking or going places by myself out of the question. Ergo, finding women around my age who can put up with my slapstick humor "no es facil". So, being the social outcast of Honduras began to take it's toll... I prayed for a friend and wouldn't you know it; He sent me 2!! 
Now I'm sure you all are thinking "what a retard." The only friend missionaries need is Jesus, but allow me to disagree for a little bit. Community is important! Having people you can share life with and grow that support system with is crucial to your Christian walk. The turmoil we are facing as a society (Natural disasters, crisis in the middle east, don't get me started on lybia) is begging us to come together as a community and help each other through it! We go to God first and when we've found Him and he has become enough, I'm a firm believer that He gives us other people to walk with on our Journey... Kind of cool really. 
So today I'm thankful. I'm thankful for my relationship with God and I'm thankful for my friends (new and old of course.) 

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. -1 John 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment